Friday, January 27, 2012

Gallbladder Surgery

Wednesday our OB referred me to a surgeon to set up a date to have my gallbladder removed after last week's gallstone attack.  So off we went to visit Dr. Hu today.  I had been having a lot of reservations about the surgery, the thought of going under anesthesia while pregnant was very unsettling to me and I wasn't sure the benefits out weighed the risks.  After talking to Dr. Hu we were relieved to know that she felt the same way.  While they can perform the surgery as long as it is before 22-24 weeks because the uterus is still out of the way enough for them to reach the gallbladder via laparoscopy.  So they won't do the surgery in the third trimester unless it is an emergency.

Anyhow since I am carrying two babies instead of one I am already the size of a singleton pregnancy in its third trimester.  So the surgeon will already have some difficulty reaching the gallbladder.  Additionally since I have only had one attack, I am not overweight or obese, and I'm not in any pain currently she and I decided it would be best to try to wait it out until after delivery.  Of course that is taking a pretty big chance assuming that I won't have another attack.  Though I couldn't bring myself to accept the risk of anesthesia for a surgery unless the surgery was a must needed thing. Dr. Hu went onto say that she would be willing to do the surgery in my third trimester if she had to. So I guess cross your fingers and pray that this was the first and last gallstone attack until after delivery. Or if it is going to start acting up that it does so ASAP while we are still in that safe window of time so they are able to do laparoscopy and not need to do a full incision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment